If you happened to catch my most recent quarterly planning session recap, you're already aware that we're ditching the Creation Chamber name. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is that when I registered the domain in 2000, I never intended to use it for the marketing agency I'd start a year later. After using the name temporarily while working from my apartment's spare bedroom, it because increasingly difficult to switch directions. I didn't find it to be a fitting name, but our growing team and many clients seemed to like it (even though some of those clients also had a hard time remembering it... we've probably been called "Creative Chamber" more often than not and we've even gotten one or two "Creation Station" references over the years!).
The biggest reason we've decided to switch our name, though, is that we believe our new name speaks more accurately to what we do—and what we don't do. If Creation Chamber was ever a relevant name, it was when we were known for creating Pumpkin Master CD-ROMs (sold in K-Mart), Client/Server Flash Apps for NFL teams, rich internet applications (RIAs) for restaurants, and plenty of elaborate, Flash-based websites for major brands. The recurring, consultative nature, and optimization focus, of our newer relationships, however, seems like an odd fit.
Our new name (and old name, for those who have known us a long time—but that's another story) represents not only what we do, but how and why we do it. That name is Distill.
1. extract the essential meaning or most important aspects of.
In the world of digital marketing, we commonly see our peers pushing too many platforms, leveraging too many tactics, and justifying their efforts (and fees) with way too many spreadsheets full of endless vanity metrics. As the saying goes, “if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.” Our team knows there’s a better way—and we walk that path in everything we do:
We constantly refine our offerings so that only the most effective strategies and tactics comprise our solutions. We follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of the results will come from 20% of the marketing mix. So we eliminate the other 80% of the mix and focus on the most productive 20%.
We’re continually reducing the number of platforms we include in our day-to-day. The best processes and platforms are the ones people actually use, and by minimizing the number of moving parts, we maximize our utilization and mastery. This applies to our internal work and to the tools and training we provide to our clients. When clients understand what we’re doing, they’re smarter, more appreciative, and better to work with.
Instead of exporting a sea of data surrounding every possible metric, we customize beautiful, graphical performance dashboards, focused on the KPIs that matter to the client, and available to them on-demand.
We build MVPs (minimum viable products) through growth-driven website design.
We constantly refine our industry foci so that we can better leverage subject matter expertise in our campaigns.
We believe that genius is nothing more than the ability to make the complex seem simple. And because everything evolves toward its simplest form, our mission is to get there first by avoiding the “shiny object syndrome” that lures many into chasing every little marketing trend for FOMO.
Our very brand is about distilling our product down to the essential, valuable elements, while removing the unnecessary elements and the impurities.
Simplicity, and its resulting elegance, permeate every decision we make.
With all of this in mind, I'd like to introduce you to the new Distill. But first, one last reference:
"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."